Disclaimer: This WellnessKeen article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.
As a parent, you must be highly concerned about protecting your kids from getting bitten and stung by the nasty bugs that are easily found in backyards, parks, and school playgrounds. You can't stop the kids from going somewhere just because of some bugs and insects, right? So, how do you protect them?
First of all, you should teach your kids to learn how to protect themselves whenever they are outdoors. Whether they are in the park, swimming pool, or the backyard, make them to wear protective clothing. So if the weather allows it, ask them to put on long-sleeved shirts and pants. This way, you can at least prevent them from potentially dangerous and/or poisonous bugs.
Treating Different Types of Bites
Perhaps you may or may not be aware, but wasps are known to sting their victims more than one time. Plus, a wasp sting is similar to a bee sting. So it can be difficult to differentiate between the two. If your child is allergic to the wasp sting, you need to be very careful and find the signs early on. When bitten, wasps or yellow jackets don't leave a stinger. To treat the bite, apply ice over the area immediately, and then use medication (hydrocortisone 1%, benzocaine spray, or antihistamine cream) for relief.
Mosquitoes become hyperactive around dusk and dawn. As a precaution, make sure there isn't any stagnant water lying around your house or in the yard (as they are attracted to such places). Also, wearing protective clothing is also helpful. To treat mosquito bites, immediately wash hands and legs with an antibacterial soap and warm water. Apply over-the-counter medication to stop the itching.
A bee sting is quite painful and can give your child a severe allergic reaction. The most common places where kids can get stung by bees are swimming pools and parks. Teach your kids how to remove the stinger if they get bitten by one. Or, ask them to come home immediately so that you can use tweezers (no needles) to remove it. Apply ice over the bee sting, as it will help reduce any swelling. You can also apply over-the-counter medication. If your child is developing an allergic reaction or is stung on the nose, throat, or mouth, call 911 right away as these locations are dangerous.
To treat a spider bite, apply ice and a little bit of over-the-counter spider bite medication over the infected area. As spider bites are known to give blisters, you can place a band-aid over it as well. This will discourage your child from scratching and/or further infecting it. If you feel that the spider could've been poisonous or are noticing any allergic reactions, don't waste time in seeking proper medical attention.
Teach your children not to provoke insects or play near hives and nests, and avoid wooded areas. If the swelling is getting out of control, increasing, or won't reduce even after applying medication, go to a nearest hospital immediately.