With the end of summer, you will notice the fruit flies flying around the kitchen and near garbage storage area. These can be found around fresh or rotting vegetables and fruits, garbage, drain, and damp organic materials. They are characterized by a light yellow body and bright red eyes. These are the smallest type of house flies. They generally hover around fermenting material, overripe fruits, and decaying vegetation. Due to their association with unhygienic places, fruit flies are potential carriers of bacteria and cause transmission of various diseases. Hence, it is very essential to get rid of them. Following are some useful home remedies for the same:
- The first step you should take for getting rid of fruit flies is to remove their source of attraction. Always keep your kitchen clean and free of garbage.
- Dry soap acts as a repellent for these insects. Sprinkle it into garbage cans and other areas where they are found.
- Spray diluted lemongrass oil in the house. For that, add 10 drops of oil to 2 ounces of hot water. It will help kill not only fruit flies, but also ants, spiders, and other creepy crawlers.
- If you put a dish with some basil near the fruit bowl and also sprinkle some basil on the fruits, it will keep these insects away.
- You can use a wine bottle trap. As wine is made from fruit, these insects are attracted to it. Take a wine bottle with an inch of wine in the bottom. Remove its lid and place a small piece of plastic wrap over the opening. Create several small holes in the top using a wooden toothpick, and set the bottle in the kitchen to trap the flies.
- Hang fly strips in such a position that both their sides are exposed to flies. Fruit flies will stick to the trap and die.