Bone marrow is responsible for the production of stem cells. These stem cells are further developed into red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Any defect in the bone marrow, or the lack of bone marrow, may lead to various complications. Many people have a scarcity of this substance which takes them to many life-threatening conditions. To research and find more about this important substance many research institute ask for bone marrow donation. Hence, for people who are looking forward to donate bone marrow for money, should know that the process is quite simple but the donation may be painful.
Importance of Bone Marrow In the Body
Bone marrow is associated with the production of stem cells. The stem cells form three important constituents of the blood: red blood cells, white blood cells, and blood platelets. The red blood cells supply oxygen to all the parts of the body, white blood cells fight with diseases and other microorganisms entering the body, whereas platelets help in the process of blood clotting and prevents the body from losing blood. Bone marrow is found in the bones. Some people have very low amount of bone marrow, or their body is not able to produce bone marrow. This may create complications and cause life-threatening diseases like leukemia, anemia, bone cancer and other blood disorders. Hence it is very important to have a considerable amount of bone marrow to lead a normal life.
Bone Marrow Donation
Bone marrow donation can be done for two purpose. First it can be done for any loved ones or close relative who is in need of the bone marrow and the second purpose can be money. In the first case i.e. when you are donating the bone marrow to your close ones, you will undergo many tests which will be conducted to match your bone marrow with the person who needs it. It is very difficult to get an ideal match for bone marrow transplant, as the substance can only match either with the parents, siblings or close relatives. This process is usually not done for money, as you are doing it to save the life of your loved ones.
The second case of bone marrow donation is done for research purpose. There are many research institutes which are specifically involved in the research and clinical trials of bone marrow. These institutes appeal to people to donate bone marrow for cash. They provide a considerable amount of money for a particular amount of bone marrow. This bone marrow is utilized to study various bone marrow diseases and used to develop medicines and therapies to overcome diseases related to its deficiency or problem.
How to Donate Bone Marrow for Money
Following are some steps which are involved in bone marrow donation procedure.
- The foremost thing, as said before, is to find out the scientific research groups which accept bone marrow for financial compensation. You can contact U.S. National Institutes of Health, or other major research institutes.
- Once you get the names of the institute you will need to go through the criteria for donation at the institute. Find out if you are eligible to donate bone marrow. Your age, lifestyle, and medical conditions are among the most important criteria.
- Discuss the money you will be getting and the amount of bone marrow you are going to donate. There are criteria for the quantity of bone marrow as well. Clear all your doubts before taking any decision.
- You are not eligible for bone marrow donation if you have AIDS, HIV, auto-immune disorders, liver disease, active pulmonary tuberculosis, hemophilia, heart disease, etc. Apart from this, if you are underweight or overweight then also you are not eligible as a donor.
- If you fulfill all the criteria, and are ready to donate bone marrow for money, then the institute may ask you to sign some forms to complete certain legal formalities.
- Once the formalities are completed, bone marrow harvesting will begin. There are two process to get the bone marrow. The first method is to get the bone marrow directly from the pelvic or the breast bone and the second one is to get it through the blood. This method is known as the PBSC (Peripheral Blood Stem Cell) method.
- Once the bone marrow is received, you will get some instructions and tips on how to take care of yourself after the donation. You will be released with the amount of money that was decided earlier.
Bone marrow donation may cause some side effects like nausea, dizziness, fatigue, which are very common, and will diminish with time. If the person follows the instructions properly then he/she will be back to normal within 10-15 days. Although you will be paid for your bone marrow, it may help scientists to find out something very useful. Hence it's not all about money, it's about saving other people's life too.