There are several reasons that can cause bad breath. For example, your mouth may have a foul smell on waking up, mostly after 5 to 6 hours of sleep, or after drinking tea or coffee, etc. You may also have an unmistakable bad breath after eating garlic. However, some of the cooking recipes just don't taste good without garlic, so you may want to use this spice as one of the main ingredients in the recipe. Though many food lovers may have experienced this, what most of us may don't know, is how to get rid of it.
Garlic contains a gas called allyl methyl sulfide (AMS) which is absorbed by the blood, while the metabolism takes place, and reaches the lungs and then the mouth, causing halitosis or bad breath. Sometimes, your body may also have a garlicky smell, as this gas comes out gradually, in the form of sweat through the pores of your skin. It stays in our lungs for 24 to 48 hours and the smell also circulates to our mouth. Now, let's see how one can get rid of the smell.
- Chew on some strong mints, as the mint and sugar reacts chemically with the allyl methyl sulfide gas present in garlic, the foul smell can be avoided.
- The smell of garlic increases when something hot is eaten, hence you can switch to eating something cold like an ice-cream.
- Chewing parsley leaves can also help get rid of the smell.
- Chewing on 2 to 3 mint leaves is also helpful.
- Chewing on a clove can prove useful in treating bad breath.
- Eat raw carrots, cucumbers, etc.
- Eat cardamom, as its strong flavor helps to kill the garlic bad breath.
- Sip some wine, specially red wine, as its strong flavor helps to cover the smell of garlic.
- Have lemonade, but make sure that it is made from freshly squeezed lemons.
- Gargle with strong mouth washes.
- Another remedy is to drink a cup of mint tea after the meal.
- Brush your teeth, and scrape your tongue; this will reduce the odor. Floss your teeth after following this.
- After chopping or smashing garlic cloves, your hands may smell.
- To get rid of this smell on hands, squeeze lemon juice on palms, rub them with each other for 5 minutes, and wash.
- You can also wash your hands with alcohol, or spray perfume on it.
- Mix together water, salt, and baking soda, and make a paste.
- Scrub your hands with this mixture.
- Using a hand sanitizer also reduces the smell.
- Rub your hands against any stainless steel utensil, or a bar of stainless steel soap, even a spoon will do.
- You can also try washing your hands with toothpaste.
- If you smell of garlic, the best way may yet be to have a hot water bath.
Garlic has a very strong odor which can be very annoying. So, you can use these easy and simple ways to get rid of bad breath fast.