Wisdom tooth removal in itself is a painful experience; however, with temporary area-specific sedation administered, the feeling is no more than the prick of a needle. It is after the removal that extreme care must be taken. If cautionary measures are not adopted, tooth decay may follow.
Immediate Measures to Reduce Inflammation
- Retain the gauze piece placed over the extraction site. Keep it tamponed over the cavity, and only when the time is up, discard the inserted swab.
- Don't rinse mouth with vociferous movements leads to undue exertion of the freshly operated site.
- Do not touch the cavity.
- Cold compress the operated demesne, thus relegating the discomfort.
- Don't turn to persiflage if you have nothing to do. Read a book, indulge in sky-watching, or doze off; because, an unnecessary jabber is sure to jab your jaw, and up the swelling. If you are a workaholic, breathe. You don't want your jaw acting caddish when you have an official oratory on its way. Get back to business, a day or two after the surgery.
Continual Measures to Reduce Post-extraction Swelling
Here are some treatment measures for the healing process to quicken. An assiduous effort to put these measures to practice, may accelerate the overall healing period.
- In a plastic bag, place some ice cubes. Put this bag in clean, cotton socks. Make sure that you push the plastic bag through the length of the sock. Hold it against your cheek for a truncated period of 20 minutes. This will surely reduce the swelling in 24 hours. Placing crushed ice inside the mouth will numb the area and reduce the swelling.
- Instead of opting for ice, one may also use different frozen vegetables; like, corn, peas, and chopped carrots. They can be molded easily to the shape and size of your face and will also help in reducing the swelling.
- Swishing cold water in your mouth will also help; inadvertently, reducing the inflammation, and alleviating the pain.
- Cooling pads can be used to reduce post-operative swelling. They give the same result as ice, frozen vegetables and cold water. Cooling pads make use of electricity for serving the purpose; i.e. for generating low temperatures.
- Pile on some pillows while sleeping. This would cease the bleeding sooner than when the individual lies without propping pillows.
- If the swelling is severe, you can opt for antibiotic drugs. Different painkillers and oral analgesics are also deemed helpful. Anti-inflammatory drugs which prevent the jaw and gum tissues from swelling are proven effective for wisdom tooth pain relief.
After the wisdom tooth has departed, avoid eating fried and crispy foods for a few days. Soft foods and juices are easy to consume, hence, opt for them. However, make sure that you don't use of straw to drain your fruit juice, as it might irritate the swollen area. Refrain from these conditions, and it will help reduce swelling, and aid in rapid recovery.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is solely for educating the reader. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a medical expert.