Dental health is very important, although it is not taken seriously until the grave effects start showing up due to ignoring dental concerns. The part which helps to commence with the first phase of digestion, is our teeth and if there is a concern regarding teeth, regular metabolism can get affected quite bad. One such concern is sensitivity in the teeth. A sore tooth has many reasons to occur. Like not chewing the food properly, or not brushing the teeth well or a gum disease can factor this tooth problem. Secondly, sore teeth and gums are quite correlated. Even if one gets affected, the other suffers badly. So here, we will be discussing some sore tooth causes and remedies.
Care Tips and Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth
Before we discuss some home remedies for this dental problem, it is important to understand the causes for gum sores and decaying teeth. A poor dental hygiene can result in gum diseases and canker sores. The underlying layer of teeth is made up of a calcified tissue, known as dentin. It is a protective blanket for the root of the teeth. So when extremely hot or cold food is consumed, the dentinal tubules contained in the roots allow the stimuli to reach the tooth nerves, that feel the tingling sensation, hence resulting in sensitive gums and teeth. This happens when the enamel, the protective coat of the teeth wears off, due to a poor dental care. Often this leads to swollen gums around the tooth, which can be very painful.
Eating extremely acidic food can result in cranker sores which can get quite painful and irritating at times. And once the tooth gets affected, gum infection will follow. In fact, soreness in gums is the first indication to a sore tooth. In case, a gum disease is left untreated, it can culminate into receding gums, which can be observed when the gum line starts separating itself from the surface of the teeth. If left untreated, one can loose all teeth over a period of time and the last resort would be dentures.
Some of the major causes for sore teeth and gums are listed below:
- Aggressive brushing
- Receding gums
- Gingivitis (a gum disease)
- Teeth grinding (Bruxism)
- Strong tooth whitening products
- Accretion of plaque on roots
- Acidic mouthwash
- Highly acidic foods
- Tooth abscess
- Tooth decay
So now that we know the causes, let's figure out some home remedies for teeth that are sore and painful.
- The simplest and the easiest home remedy is availing gargling salt water benefits. Salt water pertaining to its osmosis properties, dehydrates the harmful mouth bacteria, thereby soothing the soreness of tooth and gums. One can also grind wheatgrass and gargle with its extract.
- Ice compress is another easiest remedy available in hand. Take some ice cubes and place it in dry cotton cloth and wrap it tight. Rub the affected tooth with this compress and the pain will ebb gradually.
- Garlic is one of the most natural medicines gifted by nature, and since ages has been used in treating sore tooth. Just peel a clove of the garlic and rub it with rock salt and place it along the teeth sensitivity. Pain and the inflammation, both will subside. Pure vanilla extract can also be used.
- Clove oil with a pinch of pepper powder can also palliate the pain of a sore gum and teeth. In fact, a potion of lemon juice and ground asafoetida are another effective treatment option for dental concerns. Another good option is making a paste of mustard oil and turmeric, as turmeric also has antimicrobial properties which help in killing the harmful bacteria.
- Make a fresh paste of bay berry bark with vinegar and smear along the affected tooth and keep for some time. Desired results will be observed.
- And, here is another natural remedy for toothache. Take some cloves (5-6) and put them in boiling water. Also put a 2 inch bark of margosa tree in the solution. Refrigerate after some time. Dab a cotton in the solution and apply it along the gums and teeth and an instant relief is felt.
Dental Care Tips
So these were some of the best sore tooth remedies, which could be adopted to combat unwelcome toothaches. Besides, here are some care tips on oral hygiene which should be compulsorily followed on a daily basis.
- A proper brushing and flossing should be done regularly, twice a day with a soft bristled brush and a desensitizing toothpaste.
- Binging on high calorie sweets and highly acidic food is not advised. Make sure you have a balanced diet that includes raw leafy vegetables and citrus fruits that are packed with vitamin C.
- If you are suffering from Bruxism, better use mouth guards to combat the disorder. As, teeth grinding can often result in tooth soreness. Braces are often used in teeth alignment. But if the oral hygiene is not maintained, teeth and gums both can get severely affected by bacteria. In such cases, it is best advised to follow the norms set by your dentist, until you have those braces on.
- Sore teeth during pregnancy is not uncommon as it is factored by the multiple hormonal changes that happen within the body. At this time, pregnant women should take extra care when it comes to dental hygiene. Brushing regularly and avoiding unhealthy binging is often advised, in order to prevent infections like gingivitis. This is a very important advice for pregnant women, as manifestation of this infection can prove perilous for the unborn child.
To maintain a good dental health, one is advised to include enough calcium supplements in diet. Drinking hot water with peppermint and salt, in the morning strengthens the gums and the teeth. Gargling with hydrogen peroxide or with Listerine is also advised, after every meal. So follow the above measures and enjoy a good dental health.