Parents, often insist their children on staying healthy in college. This is because these students are independent and would have to manage things on their own. There is a new found sense of freedom. However, at the same time there is the burden of an added responsibility of doing well academically, by managing everything on their own. Health plays a very important role as a proper health is required for a student to perform well in all aspects during this phase.
Food and Drink
Some healthy eating tips for these students are mentioned below:
- For breakfast, one should make sure to consume a full and healthy meal. Breakfast is considered to be the most important meal of the day and having a proper one would compensate for any inadequate or untimely meals later.
- Nutritious foods like fruits and other healthy foods should be consumed instead of wafers or other fried and packaged junk food.
- Junk food is a popular choice among students, who do not have time to spare for a proper meal and are always on the run. However, junk food can be consumed once in a while, but it shouldn't be made a regular habit.
- Furthermore, skipping meals should be avoided. In cases of time crunch, eating a quick, light meal might help so that the body does not run out of energy to survive the whole day.
- Overeating can be as a result of the variety of foods of one's preference, that is served in the college cafeteria. One should eat in moderation so as to avoid overeating, and vary the meals everyday so that the body gets proper nutrition.
- Consuming lots of water helps in preventing any overeating and it also increases one's concentration. It also helps in keeping the body hydrated. Thus, carrying a bottle of water in the bag is always a good option.
- Excessive alcohol consumption could lead to dehydration and other negative effects. If one wishes to consume alcohol, it should be at a moderate level so that the calorie intake is kept at a minimum as well as to avoid other negative effects.
- Drinking healthy juices is recommended over the other drinks like colas. This is because these juices, apart from being nutritious, also contain less calories compared to cola.
- Occasional indulgence in foodstuffs that cannot be eaten daily, is not a bad thing, as it helps in keeping the cravings at bay.
- In case of any serious eating disorders, one should consult the concerned doctor or a dietitian in or around the campus.
- Doing a few simple exercises, like push-ups or crunches every morning, is a great way to start the day and also maintain fitness levels.
- Walking around the campus when going to classes and even taking the stairs is a good way to exercise the feet muscles.
- Colleges provide students with free gym facility. One can make use of it and try to have a workout session daily by taking some time off from one's regular activities.
- Taking up a sport and playing it regularly is a great way to maintain optimum fitness levels. Also, engaging in sports activities would help in making new friends and it would create a sense of bonding with them.
- Biking around the campus is also a great option for people who dislike walking, as it is one of the best exercises to improve the overall body fitness.
- Different people have different sleep requirements. However, 7-9 hours of uninterrupted night sleep is ideal for these students. If not possible everyday, make sure to get sufficient sleep on whichever days it's possible.
- A short nap during the day is good as it can work wonders with the energy levels of the body.
- If possible, one should follow a proper daily schedule when it comes to sleeping hours so that the body gets adequate rest.
- Roommates often, knowingly or unknowingly, tend to interrupt one's sleeping hours. It would be better to inform them about the sleeping hours that one follows and if possible pick roommates with similar sleeping habits.
- Avoid staying up all night for whatever reason. This is because lack of proper sleep may have an adverse effect on the health and also may make one disoriented in class.
Stress is a kind of mental illness which should be avoided. A few ways to fight stress during this phase have been listed below:
- Stress affects an individual when he is overburdened with mental processes. Taking out time from the daily routine and doing anything apart from college work should go a long way in relieving stress.
- Maintain a daily schedule, which has a balance of work and fun, so that the mind gets some rest.
- There might be a few occasions, especially while preparing for exams, that the stress levels go high due to anxiety. Take a short break from the studies, so as to divert one's attention and in the process relieve stress.
- A lot of college campuses have a few meditation and yoga programs, which help in relaxation. Keep an eye out for those as these programs might prove beneficial.
- Hanging out with friends is a great stress buster. Furthermore, pursuing certain hobbies like painting, writing poetry, or playing video games can also relieve stress.
- In case the problems related to stress persist for a long time and as a result reflect on the scores, there would be a need to seek professional help from counselors and professors.
On a conclusive note, staying fit takes nothing more than some self-discipline. The sooner students understand that, the better it is for them. Make the most of one's time in college by inculcating good habits, making good friends, as well as studying well.
Disclaimer: This WellnessKeen article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.