In today's world, our eyes are subjected to so much of strain more because of our lifestyle. We usually tend to spend eight to nine hours in front of a computer at work, after which we go home and watch television. Count the intermittent looking at the screens of our mobiles, and we end up looking at monitors for almost 12 hours a day, which causes a huge strain on our eyes.
Besides working on a computer continuously without any breaks, reading for long hours, reading under dim light and long exposure to glaring lights, dust, and pollution also contribute to tired eyes. Mental stress, fatigue, lack of sleep, too much of crying are additional factors as well. Infection in the eyes, improper oxygen supply to the cornea, and aging are some eye-related problems that can make the eyes tired.
The eyes are one of the most delicate organs of our body. Even a slight discomfort can be quite bothersome. For this reason, symptoms of tired eyes seems to be really annoying for us.
- Irritation or itchiness inside the eyes is one of the first symptoms of tired eyes. To get rid of this irritation, you tend to rub your eyes repeatedly. While working on computer, if you feel this kind of itching sensation, then it is a clear indication that your eyes need some rest.
- Itchiness is often accompanied by a burning sensation in eyes. This can be felt when you touch your eyes with your fingertips. You can feel the same if you close your eyes for few minutes.
- Heaviness is felt in the eyes particularly on the eyelids because of too much of strain. This is an uncomfortable sensation due to which you find it difficult to keep the eyes open.
- When the eyes are extremely tired due to prolonged strain, then they turn red and sore. Sometimes, mild to moderate pain is experienced as well. This should be taken as a warning sign that the eyes cannot take the pressure anymore.
- Many people get watery eyes when they are exposed to bright lights. When strong lights fall upon the eyes, they become dry. So, the tear glands have to work hard to keep the eyes lubricated. Thus, the tear glands are overworked and causes teary eyes.
- Other general symptoms of tired eyes include blurred vision, eye squinting, dry eyes, photo sensitivity, along with neck pain and headaches.
How to Get Rid of Tired Eye Symptoms
The only solution is to give your eyes a break. You should take a break once an hour. While resting, do not look at a computer screen at all. If working for long hours make the eyes tired and sore, splash cold water on them to get relief. You should repeat this at frequent intervals to control the burn and painful sensation. You can also try tea bag treatment to help with tired eyes. The tannins present in tea can bring down the puffiness around the eyes almost instantly. To get rid of dark circles, place slices of cold cucumber on the eyes for 10 minutes. If the symptoms are causing severe irritation or is affecting your normal vision, then you must consult a doctor. They will conduct an eye examination and then carry out treatment, which often involves use of eye drops that can provide relief from the irritation and sensitivity.
The intensity of the symptoms largely depends on how tired your eyes are. If you suffer from this problem frequently, try to tone down the intensity of light from the computer screen by lowering the brightness of the monitor or installing a protection screen.