Especially, for pregnant women or if you are just recovering from an illness, it is not always possible to get vitamins from your diet. In such cases, vitamin supplements play a very important role in supplying energy to the body. There are a number of vitamins that will help you get that much-needed boost.
Here are the best vitamins for energy that are important to take, especially if you have been feeling weak.
Vitamin B is the most crucial for the body's production and use of energy. All the eight vitamins in the group, are critical to avoid fatigue and for energizing the body.
- Vitamin B1, or thiamin, strengthens body's immune system so that the brain and nervous system function more efficiently. It also helps to metabolize food effectively so that the body receives energy for all tasks.
- Vitamin B2, or riboflavin, is needed for energy production through chemical reactions. People lacking in riboflavin often feel sluggish and tired.
- Vitamin B3, also known as niacin, treats high cholesterol which is responsible for depleting an individual's energy.
- Vitamin B5, also known as, pantothenic acid, strengthens the body's immune system. If a person is ill, the body requires a lot of energy to combat illness. Thus, by strengthening the immune system it helps the body store energy.
- Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, helps protects the arteries. Without proper blood flow, the cells will not be able to produce enough energy for the body to receive enough oxygen to meet the body's energy needs.
- Vitamin B9, also known as folic acid, plays a vital role in the formation of the red blood cells which are necessary to maintain energy levels.
- Vitamin B12, also known as cyanocobalamin, plays an important role in absorbing foods which results in replenishing energy.
- Biotin is very important as a vitamin for energy, as it facilitates both fat and protein metabolism which is necessary to convert food into energy.
Another good source of energy is vitamin C. It performs cellular functions in the body, which means that it makes sure that if any damage is caused during the day, it repairs that when you rest or sleep. Without this, the body would not be able to perform at its full ability.
Besides that, vitamin C is also responsible in converting food into energy. What it does is that it takes the chemicals to the mitochondria in the cell, which is the energy production site in every cell, thereby resulting in production of the energy required by the body.
Other Nutritional Supplements for Energy
Besides this iron also produces oxygen-carrying pigment in the blood which is commonly known as hemoglobin, which provides energy to the body. Most people require around 15 mg of iron per day. Iron is one of the best energy sources for women.
Magnesium is another important nutritional supplement for energy. It is also responsible for other body functions like absorption of calcium, muscle health, and producing healthy red blood cells. Magnesium provides the cells with additional fuel needed for energy production.
These were the most important vitamins for energy. It is advisable to obtain vitamins from food sources rather than nutritional supplements and it's always better to take vitamin supplements only after consulting your doctor.
Disclaimer: This is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.