Acne treatment needs special attention during pregnancy, as some of the drugs might be teratogenic, and can cause harm to the baby. Home remedies are preferred in this phase. Information about several natural remedies has been provided in the following article.
Pregnant women experience a lot of hormonal changes, which can make them susceptible to acne. The problem worsens in case of women with a history of acne. An expectant mother needs to be extra careful, as whatever she consumes has a direct effect on her developing fetus. Skin care products containing Retin-A, Tetracycline, and Accutane are not recommended during pregnancy, as they disturb the healthy development of the embryo. Drugs containing benzoyl peroxide are considered to be safe for the treatment of this skin condition during pregnancy.
- Ripe Tomato: Extract the pulp of a ripe tomato and apply it on your face. Wash after 20 minutes with cold water. This can be applied once in three days.
- Lemon Juice and Cinnamon: Take one tablespoon of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Mix them well and apply it on the acne-affected area. After 10 minutes, wash it off with water. The expectant mother can apply this pack once in two days.
- Sandalwood Powder and Rose Water: Add 2 – 3 drops of rose water to one teaspoon of sandalwood powder to make a paste. Apply it on the affected skin. Allow it to dry for about 10 minutes, and wash with cold water. Being a natural toner, rose water will also impart a glow to your skin.
- Toothpaste: Before going to bed, apply toothpaste on the affected skin, keep it overnight, and wash it off the next morning. This is one of the best and easy remedy that is recommended during pregnancy
- Potato: Grate a small potato and extract its juice. Apply this juice on the affected spot. Leave it for half an hour and then wash. Repeat this activity daily to get a clear skin during pregnancy.
- Aloe Vera: You could apply aloe vera juice on the affected area. Due to its anti-bacterial property, it is highly effective in the prevention and treatment of this skin condition.
- Fenugreek: Apply fresh fenugreek paste on the affected skin for half an hour everyday. This is considered to be a very effective treatment
- Strawberry Leaves: Keep strawberry leaves on the affected area of the skin daily.
- Mint and Turmeric: Grind mint leaves to form a paste. Add a pinch of turmeric to it. Mix them well and apply it on the affected area.
- Ice: Rubbing an ice cube gently and softly on the affected skin is very beneficial.
- Rose water: Dab 2 – 3 drops of rose water every day on the affected skin before sleeping. This is one of the best remedies
- Fruits and Vegetables: Fruits and green leafy vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals. Increase daily intake of fruits and vegetables in your diet for a healthy and acne-free skin.
- Lemonade: Lemon juice has vitamin C, which not only strengthens your immunity, but also gives you a glowing skin.
- Cucumber: Extract cucumber juice or make a paste. Apply it for 10 minutes daily, before going to sleep to get faster results.
Acne is prominent during the first trimester of pregnancy. It usually subsides in the later stages. You can follow the aforementioned home remedies. If these don’t work, it would be best to consult a dermatologist.
Disclaimer: This HerHaleness article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.