Alcohol poisoning symptoms are caused by excessive intake of alcohol. Vomiting, hypothermia, and inability to walk are some of its symptoms. Read on for some important tips to treat this condition.
Anything done in excess is bad for health. Alcohol is no exception to this rule. Alcohol poisoning means, consuming large quantities of alcohol than what the body can take. The cell membranes in our body are susceptible to alcohol. Thus, when alcohol seeps through them, it reaches every tissue in the body, giving the consumer a feeling of being high. The initial consumption of alcohol produces a feeling of elation and relaxation. Succumbing to this feeling, the drinker begins to consume more, knowing or not knowing the negative consequences of excessive alcohol consumption while doing so. Drinking excess alcohol in a short time leads to increased levels of toxins in the body, causing alcohol poisoning. As the level of alcohol content in the bloodstream goes on increasing it can pose a serious life-threatening situation for the person.
Rising levels of alcohol in the body makes one feel intoxicated. It makes the speech loud in terms of volume and trivial in terms of content. As the person consumes more alcohol, he becomes quiet, and finds it difficult to talk.
Inability of Walk
High concentrations of alcohol depress the nerve centers. The motor nerves lose control over muscles, causing an inability to walk normally.
Excessive alcohol in the system disturbs the stomach, which causes vomiting.
Due to vomiting, the body gets dehydrated causing the blood sugar levels to drop. Hence, if vomiting continues, a person is likely to experience seizures.
Hypothermia refers to low body temperatures. Alcohol poisoning causes the body temperature to drop below normal, leading to hypothermia.
Change in Skin Color
The skin color of an excessive drinker changes to pale blue, due to rise in the level of alcohol.
Acute case of alcohol poisoning can lead to coma.
Too much of alcohol in the system can cause the person to be unconscious for a good enough time.
A person who has been drinking for a long time will experience slow breathing. Slow breathing means, less than 8 breaths per minute.
Irregular breathing patterns are common for those suffering with alcohol poisoning. Irregular breathing refers to a gap of 10 seconds between each breath.
The mind loses its control causes confusion and inability to think.
What To Do?
When alcohol enters the central nervous system (CNS), it slows the rate of breathing. The brain gets deprived of oxygen and closes a part of the nervous system that control breathing and heart, which leads to death. Obviously, a drunk person is in no state of knowing all this. Thus, when your friend begins to show acute alcohol poisoning symptoms, call the emergency numbers. Inexperienced drinkers are vulnerable as they have lower tolerance levels. Thus, its advised never to force anyone to drink.
Those who have suffered from this condition will be physically sick. Additionally, it is their self-esteem that suffers a lot. Regaining the wrecked self-esteem will take time and help, as friends and family empathize with their situation and help them cope with it. If alcohol poisoning goes unnoticed, it can be life-threatening. A person may drink for a mood lift, but he should know when to stop drinking alcohol. Safe alcohol consumption guidelines for women are recommended at 2 drink in 14 days and for men 3 drinks in 21 days. To reduce your level of alcohol consumption, do not indulge in a binge drink. Make sure that it is just ‘a drink’. Identify whether the case is of alcoholism or alcohol abuse.
Home remedies for symptoms of alcohol poisoning suggest, drinking lots of water to prevent your body from dehydration. It’s not just alcohol that dehydrates the body, but also vomiting, so regain those lost water levels by increasing water consumption. Increase in urination and perspiration will help in flushing out alcohol from the body. Watch your breath and bring back the breathing rate to normal. Try to keep the person awake, while at home to monitor the water consumption. Seek medical help if the case is very acute.