Aviane is a combination of female hormones that prevent ovulation. This article elaborates on the dosage and side effects of this medication.
Aviane birth control pills are one of the birth control options that prevent the release of an egg from the ovary. These pills are made from ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel, which are two variants of the female sex hormones called progesterone and estrogen.
Progesterone and estrogen are the two main hormones which support pregnancy, and hence a birth pill should be able to obstruct the function of these hormones. When consumed, this pill acts on the ovaries in such a manner that the ovulation cycle is interrupted, and the matured egg is not released in the uterus. Along with this, it causes some physical and chemical changes in the cervical region so as to prevent the sperms from fertilizing the egg. However, for this to occur in the correct manner, proper and timely dosage of the pills is required.
For the pills to work efficiently, one needs to schedule the consumption of the pills. For this, it is better to consult your doctor initially. It is recommended to start the pills on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period in that month. The medication needs to be continued for a span of 21 or 28 days continuously and that too at a particular time.
If you don’t get your periods during this time, it means that you have succeeded. However, in case you forget to take a dose for more than 2 days back-to-back, then see to it that you carry out the pregnancy test or start off with an entirely new pack, since the previous ones won’t work for you then. DO NOT take the pills if one of it holds true in your case.
- If you are pregnant
- If you have a history of breast or uterine cancer
- If you have a history of jaundice or liver problems
- If you have heart problems
- If you have high blood pressure
- If you have history of strokes
- If you are affected by seizures or asthma
- If you have epilepsy
- If you smoke or drink regularly
- If you show abnormal vaginal discharge
- If you have eye lesions or related problems
It is quite expected that birth control pills have their share of side effects. The side effects are not necessarily experienced by every women, however, in cases wherein the female is allergic or is indulging in overdoses, possible side effects can be observed. The most common side effect is weight gain, which is experienced by almost all females. It is recommended to seek a doctor’s help, in case of severity of any of these side effects.
- Weight Gain
- Breast pain, tenderness, or swelling
- Dizziness and nausea
- Loss or gain of facial or body hair
- Blotchy spots on the body
- Abdominal cramps
- Increased sex drive or lack of interest in sexual activity
- Increased sensitivity towards sunlight
- Changes in the uterine bleeding patterns
- Vaginal Infections
- Shortness of breath
- Slurred speech
- Pain in chest, groin, or leg
- Swelling of hands, ankles, and feet
These side effects can be avoided by taking the medicines regularly and leading a healthy lifestyle. Like all other contraceptives, Aviane is not 100% foolproof. However, if combined with other types of birth control options, good results are usually observed.