Back pain is a common ailment experienced in most pregnancies. The following article will give you some simple exercises that you can carry out and bring about some relief from back pain. Read on to know more.
Pregnancy brings about many changes in your body. These changes are experienced at all levels―physical, mental and hormonal. One of the most common problems that pregnant women face is that of back pain. A growing belly and the added weight of it puts a lot of pressure on the back. This leads to back pain in varied degrees in most pregnant women. In the following sections, we will give you ways to bring about back pain relief during pregnancy and the means by which you can achieve that.
Back pain during pregnancy can trouble some in the form of lower or upper back pain, and depending on the condition, there might be a need to formulate certain methods to bring about relief. Sometimes, back pain can also develop into sciatica pain and cause a lot of discomfort. In the paragraphs that follow, we will look into certain exercises for back pain. These will also include sciatica relief during pregnancy.
- Place a comfortable mat on the floor and sit on your knees onto the mat.
- Stand on all fours and stretch your legs wide apart.
- Now, bend forward so that your belly touches the ground (place a pillow under).
- Extend your arms forward till you feel a complete stretch in your sides.
- Make sure that your buttocks are on your heels and not in the air.
- Stay in this position for 10-15 seconds and release.
Lower Back Extension
- Stand on all fours on a soft mat.
- Straighten your back and flex your elbows. Make sure they aren’t locked.
- Extend your left arm out, parallel to the ground and in line with your shoulder.
- At the same time, extend the left leg out behind you, keeping it parallel to the ground and in line with the hips.
- Hold the position for 5 counts and release.
- Repeat on the other side and do a total of 20 sets.
- Kneel on all fours and maintain a shoulder width distance between the knees.
- Place your palms flat against the floor and keep your elbows slightly bent.
- In this position, your back will be curved into an angle. Now, straighten your back so that it is in line with the spine.
- Do not round the back, simply push it backwards.
- Release and come back to the starting position.
- Repeat this exercise 5 times.
- Sit on a comfortable mat with your buttocks on your heels and the knees touching the ground.
- Now, extend forward while maintaining a shoulder-width distance between your knees.
- The knees should be wide enough to allow for the belly to comfortably fit in between.
- Extend your arms as you go forward and continue to extend till your forehead and chest touch the ground.
- Try not to lift your buttocks from your heels. But if you can’t manage to keep them down, lifting them a little is alright.
- Maintain this position for 10 counts and then release.
- Repeat 5 times.
These exercises will help provide back pain relief during pregnancy. Try these and see for yourself.