Causes of frequent bloating and weight gain can range from abdominal disorders to hormonal disorders. Here is information on the causes and remedies for the same.
Bloating is a commonly experienced on consuming certain types of food or when suffering from abdominal disorders. It causes a lot of discomfort and also makes the person irritable. It is a common symptom of conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, etc. However, bloated stomach and weight gain, together, is a rare symptom observed only in case of certain health conditions.
Causes of Bloating and Weight Gain
- Menstruation: This is the most common cause of bloating, cramping, and weight gain in women. During menstruation, women experience water retention which leads to these symptoms.
- Menopause: Similar to menstruation, women also tend to gain weight and experience bloating, due to menopause. The hormonal changes occurring at menopause lead to it.
- Pregnancy: Bloated stomach and indigestion is commonly seen in pregnancy. These symptoms are common and are usually not a matter of concern.
- Constipation: Constipation is a condition when one does not pass stools regularly or has difficulty in passing stools due to their hard nature. Pain in stomach, bloating, nausea, weight gain, cramps, etc., are the symptoms of constipation.
- Gluten Sensitivity: Celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, wheat sensitivity, wheat allergy, etc., are disorders caused due to food intolerance or intolerance to gluten. Bloating, nausea, abdominal pain and cramps, weight gain, etc., are its symptoms.
- Hormonal Changes: Changes in hormone levels lead to chronic stomach bloating and gaining of weight in men and women. Hormonal changes can occur due to several reasons; stress being one of the most common one.
If you suffer from chronic bloating that is accompanied by other symptoms like weight gain, you should consult the doctor immediately. All the above mentioned causes of these symptoms can be treated with medications or making changes in lifestyle. For e.g., in order to prevent bloating during menstruation, one should take rest and have light and healthy food. Same is the case during pregnancy. If it is caused due to changes in hormones or during menopause, the doctor will prescribe medications or hormone doses to get rid of the symptoms.
Constipation can be treated with medications like laxatives and stool softeners. You should make changes in the diet and include fiber rich foods and lots of water to treat constipation. Similarly, gluten or wheat sensitivity or intolerance can be treated by making changes in the diet. You should check the labels and avoid eating foods that contain gluten. You can carry out regular exercises to reduce the excess weight. In rare cases, weight gain and bloating is also associated with ovarian cancer. However, in case of ovarian cancer, along with these, several other symptoms are observed. As it can be one of the rare possibilities, it is wise to get the symptoms diagnosed and treated as early as possible.
When talking about preventive measures, note that having a healthy diet and exercising regularly can help in prevention of these symptoms. Take care!
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, seek to replace the advice of an expert.