Hookah smoking may seem like a rather pleasant pastime, however, it is far more dangerous as compared to normal smoking. The dangers of smoking hookah are equivalent to those of cigarettes, which is why people must avoid it as far as possible…
A hookah is a glass based instrument meant for smoking, wherein water is used to cool the smoke. There is a common misconception among people who feel that smoking hookah is safer than smoking cigarettes or cigars. Scores of youngsters lazing around in hookah joints, staunchly believe that the hookah smoke is softer, smoother and less harsh, because the water in the hookah purifies all the harmful chemicals. What is it that attracts them to this new lifestyle choice? Well, the answer seems to lie in the fact that, they consider the act cool and feel like they are a class apart from the normal street smoker. What these kids do not realize, is that they are indulging in a habit which will prove to be deadlier than normal smoking.
Hookahs are in fact, more dangerous than other means of smoking, and there is plenty of research conducted in order to prove this point. The fact remains that smoking is injurious to health and will remain so, no matter how and in which way it is practiced. The reason why smoking hookah is fast gaining popularity among the western world, is because these instruments look very attractive and come in innumerable shapes, sizes, and colors. Which makes them a high fashion home-decor accessory and a symbol of class.
What are the Dangers of Smoking Hookah
- Water does not cleanse, filter or purify the toxins from the tobacco used in a hookah, which is why the smoke from a hookah is toxic, no matter what.
- Since it takes longer to smoke a hookah, an individual inhales 50-200 times more smoke as compared to a normal cigarette.
- A hookah smoking session lasting for 45 minutes to 1 hour, is equivalent to 0.35-0.50 liters of tar and heavy metals being absorbed. This depends on the frequency of the inhalations per hookah session as well.
- The amount of nicotine consumed during one single session adds up to 1.7 times of that of a cigarette.
- Hookah smoke is aggressively inhaled by people, because of the soothing effect it offers. However, the smoke seeps into the diaphragm more comfortably as well, making them vulnerable to deadly diseases such as heart diseases and lung cancer.
- Hookah smokers are as susceptible to oral and throat cancer as any other smoker. In fact, the chances of developing cancer are greater among hookah users.
- Hookah is in fact more addictive than other means of smoking. The reason being that a lot more nicotine is being consumed as compared to conventional methods. This increases dependency and will result in some withdrawal symptoms if a habitual hookah smoker wishes to quit.
- Other hookah health risks include the fact that the amount of hookah smoke exhaled is far greater and spreads out more rapidly. Which is why it has an increased tendency of causing second hand smoking as well as third hand smoking among innocent people.
- Public hookah joints may not have sterilized hookah pipes, which will in fact increase chances developing communicable diseases such as certain viral and fungal infections.
- Like all other means of smoking, hookah smoke is harmful for pregnant women as it affects the health and growth of the fetus.
- According to the WHO, one single session of hookah is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes in 45 minutes.
The side effects of smoking hookah pipes have been highly sugar-coated and underestimated. Majorly, as a result of the mass propaganda of hookah cafes and joints which have opened up all over the place, especially in strategic locations where young adults usually hang out. These include areas near colleges, malls, and recreational venues. Soon there might come a time when a special rehab will be needed for hookah addicts, if this habit is not brought under control, and not completely kicked off.