Myopia is an eye disorder in which a person is unable to see objects that are at a distance. Some exercises have proved very beneficial and effective in improving eyesight. Let’s check out some of these exercises that can help improve vision naturally.
Did you know that more than 70 million people in America suffer from myopia? Myopia can have several different causes including reading and writing for long hours, spending a long time in front of the computer, watching TV from a very short distance, etc. It may also be by birth or hereditary. A person suffering from this condition is unable to see distant objects as the image is formed before the retina rather than forming on the retina. While the treatment options for myopia include the use of lenses or surgery for vision correction, a myopic can always perform certain eye exercises to reduce eye strain.
Exercises for Healthy Eyes
Following are some of the eye exercises which are good for your eye and can be performed very easily.
- Warm your palms by rubbing them against each other. Now put them on your eyes gently. Do not put pressure or rub it. Just rest your palms on your eye bone and try to feel relaxed. Place them properly to prevent light from entering. Keep it in position for 5 minutes and then remove your hands. Repeat this exercise daily. It will make your eyes relaxed and stress free.
- Hold a pencil in your hand. Focus on it, and then change its position without taking your eyes off the pencil. Bring it near your eyes and then move it again to its previous position. Follow the movement of the pencil with your eye. Repeat the process daily as it will improve the focus flexibility of your eyes.
- Rotate your eyeballs. Do it five times clockwise and then five times anticlockwise. Repeat it several times a day. This will relieve you from strain and stress.
- Take a lamp and sit in front of it with your eyes closed. Adjust your distance from the lamp if the light is irritating. Maintain a proper distance from the lamp. Then move your head slowly towards the right side, wait for a few minutes and then move your head towards the left side. Repeat the process for sometime. Keep your eyes closed during the process. Try to do it daily. You can also do the previous exercise by facing the sun with your eyes closed in the early morning hours when the sunlight is not intense.
- Make a point on the wall and focus on that spot. Do not strain your eyes. Keep your gaze fixed on that point for 10-15 minutes. Repeat this activity daily as it will improve your focus and your concentration.
- Stand in one corner of your room and observe all the things kept in the room from left to right. Concentrate on each and every thing in the room, one by one. Repeat this process from right to left. Do it two to three times daily. This will improve the focus of your eyes.
These were some simple eye exercises that have proved themselves with outstanding results. But there are few things which one should keep in mind while doing these exercises.
- You should not stress your eyes. If you are facing any kind of stress or pain, then stop performing that particular activity.
- Do not wear glasses or lenses while doing the exercise. This can harm your eyesight. Wear glasses only when necessary.
- Best time to perform eye exercises is early morning. So, try to perform these exercises in the morning time.
- Ensure that your eyes are relaxed after every exercise.
- Perform every exercise slowly and gently.
Tips to Improve Eyesight
Apart from the exercises, there are few points which can be helpful in keeping myopia under control.
- Working for long hours in front of the computer may cause severe damage to the eyes. But as we cannot avoid our work, we should take small breaks or go for a small walk every hour or so. This will reduce the strain on eyes.
- Many people have a habit of reading while traveling. But actually, this activity can cause lot of strain and can lead to many eye problems.
- The color green relaxes our eyes and improves the vision. So looking at something green, whether its a green wall, desktop wallpaper, board or landscape, refreshes the eyesight. So, when you can, just take a walk in your garden and admire the greenery around you.
- Food rich in beta carotene, Vitamin A, C and E are very beneficial for the eye. Though it cannot help in curing myopia, it will definitely improve the condition of your eyes.
- Many of us watch television with the lights turned off. This puts a lot of strain on our eyes and hence should be avoided.
- Keep proper hygiene to avoid eye infection and wash your eyes with cold water every morning and night.
Your eyes are the most delicate part of your body and one of the the best ways to reduce eye strain is by performing eye exercises. Perform these exercises and feel the difference yourself. Do consult an ophthalmologist if you are experiencing blurred vision, strain or any other vision-related symptoms.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.