While looking for remedies to relieve heartburn in pregnant women, the most important thing to keep in mind is that, it does not, in any way, harm the fetus. Hence, this HerHaleness article mentions certain remedies that are safe for both, the mother as well as the unborn baby.
A woman’s body undergoes a number of changes during pregnancy, due to the surge of hormones. She may also suffer from a number of disorders that most commonly occur during the entire term of pregnancy. These disorders are mostly temporary and tend to go away after the delivery. To name a few of these disorders, a pregnant woman can suffer from constipation, gas, acne, and in some cases even gestational diabetes.
Among the most common complaints that pregnant women have, especially during their second and third trimester of pregnancy, is heartburn. This condition is quite normal and there is no need to panic. Before we take a look at the remedies for this condition, let us go through the causative factors of this annoying health condition.
The degrees of severity of this condition may vary from person to person. Some women may experience mild symptoms, whereas, some of them may have more severe problems. The pressure applied on the stomach by the growing fetus and the relaxation of the soft tissues for the preparation of birth, are some of the reasons for heartburn during pregnancy.
Other reasons may be indigestion, softening of the esophageal sphincter, and increase in the levels of progesterone. Heartburn in pregnancy can be brought under control with the help of some natural remedies as well as some over-the-counter medications prescribed by a medical practitioner. Here are a few natural as well as clinical heartburn remedies that are quite effective without causing any side effects.
Heartburn can cause discomfort, especially during the last trimester, since the completely developed fetus exerts excessive pressure on the stomach. Hence, you can try the following remedies for the condition without worrying about the side effects:
- One of the best remedies is to keep a check on the diet. Avoid eating spicy or greasy foods, as these may aggravate the condition. Instead follow a proper diet, which includes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain products, and legumes. These foods are easily digested, and are also known to improve digestion. It is also advisable to eat small meals at regular intervals instead of having large meals, for proper digestion.
- Drinking plenty of water and other fluids like cold milk or fruit juices is also considered as the best home remedy for heartburn. The fluids will neutralize the acids in the stomach and hence, provide relief from this condition.
- One of the natural remedies is to chew mint leaves, asafetida tablets, or drink chamomile tea, which improves digestion and relieves heartburn effectively.
- Another effective remedy for heartburn is to drink aloe vera juice, thrice a day. Aloe vera juice has a soothing effect on the stomach, which helps in reducing acidity.
- Yogurt, which is a rich source of probiotic culture, is considered to be an effective heartburn remedy and is safe for consumption for pregnant women.
- Drinking honey mixed with warm milk or water is said to keep the symptoms of heartburn and acidity at bay.
- There are also a few over-the-counter antacids that can help relieve heartburn. Before taking medication of any kind, consulting your gynecologist is a must.
- Apart from the above mentioned remedies, walking after meals, mild exercises, and sleeping postures also play a major role in curing heartburn.
Visit a gynecologist if the condition persists for long and get proper treatment that provides relief. Don’t let the heartburn dampen your spirits of enjoying your motherhood. Take care!