A decrease in the levels of progesterone can cause problems in the body. There are a number of ways to increase progesterone levels naturally, and maintain them so that there are no unwanted health complications…
Progesterone is an equally essential hormone secreted by the ovaries, along with estrogen, that performs a number of functions in the body. Both these hormones play a pivotal role in women, preventing irregularity in the menstrual cycle, reducing the intensity of PMS (premenstrual syndrome) and also helps avoid certain types of cancer. It is necessary to maintain a balance in the levels of progesterone and estrogen in the body. However, at times the normal progesterone levels in the body may suffer a dip and hamper the functioning of the reproductive system.
Low levels of progesterone in the body can lead to several problems like irregular menstrual cycle, infertility, low libido. It is also important to note that the signs exhibited by low progesterone levels should not be confused with premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Almost 75 percent of the women tend to suffer from decreased levels of this vital hormone. Once the woman nears 35 years of age, she is already said to be suffering from low progesterone. Let us now take a look at the ways to naturally increase progesterone levels in women.
Ways to Naturally Increase Progesterone Levels in Your Body
As mentioned earlier, progesterone is a vital hormone that is naturally produced in the body, and which plays a key role in regulating the menstrual cycle and also during pregnancy. Sadly, many women suffer from an imbalance where the progesterone levels are way below normal, and the estrogen shoots up. Low progesterone in women can cause a number of health issues.
For a healthy reproductive system, both these hormones need to be optimal. You can give the progesterone levels in the body a boost, using different methods, both natural as well as clinical. Before that, you need to determine the exact level of this hormone and then go ahead with the task of increasing it, in case of a deficit. Listed below are some ways to increase progesterone levels naturally, and also maintain it.
- Diet plays an important role in balancing and also improving the levels of progesterone. The main supplement of progesterone is plant source, namely soy products and wild yam. These are known as plant progesterone, since they contain compounds which are bio-identical to the human progesterone hence they can aid in raising levels.
- There are also other foods that encourage the body to produce more of this female hormone. Beef, chicken and eggs, especially the yolk in the diet on a regular basis can help increase the level of progesterone. Dairy products also have a healthy amount of progesterone.
- Ideal estrogen-progesterone balance can be maintained by consuming walnuts, fortified cereals and whole grains, which are also rich sources of vitamin B6. Apart from this, zinc loaded foods like red meat, turkey and shellfish also should be included in the diet.
- According to a research, there are certain culinary herbs which help increase the level of this female reproductive hormone. These herbs are turmeric, thyme and oregano, which trigger the body to produce more of this hormone and maintain a balance.
- Herbs like chasteberry, Dong Quai (Angelica sinensis root), false unicorn root and red raspberry have been used since ancient times to address problems related to female fertility. Taking prescribed amount of these herbs can promote the production of this hormone.
- Reducing stress and following a routine exercise regimen regulates the body function and improves the hormonal levels. Stress can have a drastic effect on estrogen and progesterone levels and cause an imbalance. So it is best to avoid stressful situations and practice meditation and yoga to curb this problem. Apart from all these, it is also essential to go for a regular blood test to analyze the exact hormonal level in the body, so that even if a drop is noticed, it can be corrected immediately before it is too late.
It is better to increase the levels of progesterone in the body through natural means, rather than by synthetic hormones and medications, which may lead to undesirable side effects. Always consult a gynecologist or a health care provider regarding the increase of hormonal levels and also treat progesterone deficiency in an effective manner. Take care!