Staph infection can be prevented by following simple methods. Here is information on precautionary measures to undertake to avoid staph infection.
Staph infection is called so because it is caused due to bacteria known as Staphylococcus or Staph. This type of bacteria is found commonly in the nose, genitals and mouth of people. These bacteria do not prove any threat as long as people do not suffer from any wounds, incisions, infections, etc. Wounds and breaking of the skin can cause the bacteria to enter the body, resulting in staph skin infections. Anyone can contract this infection; however, certain people like those having weakened immune system, breastfeeding women, infants; and people suffering from cancer, etc. are at a higher risk of contracting this infection. The symptoms of staph infection are very painful and hence, it is wise to prevent this condition altogether.
What is Staph Infection
The Staphylococcus causes several infections and life-threatening conditions in humans. The MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) is one such severe condition caused due to this bacteria. Staph infection symptoms include boils, abscess, swelling, tenderness, redness, blisters, etc. in the area which has been affected by the infection. The pus and infection can reach deep inside the body, resulting in conditions like pneumonia. The infection can range from mild to severe to life-threatening.
One should remember that staph infections are contagious and spread by sharing personal items with the infected person. The infections spreads very quickly through contaminated or unhygienic conditions. Although there are ways for the treatment of this infection, one should follow the preventive measures in order to avoid this life-threatening condition. Let us take a look at the preventive methods for staph infection.
Ways to Prevent Staph Infection
One of the most important things to be noted it these infectious diseases are mostly caused due to contamination and having a low immune system. Therefore, if you are living in or exposed to any condition that lowers your immunity, you are at a higher risk of suffering from infectious diseases. The following are some of the most effective means of staph infection prevention:
- The bacteria enters the body when the skin breaks open by a wound or a cut. This can be prevented by covering the wound using a bandage. Similarly, you should avoid touching your own or other’s open wound with bare hands.
- Secondly, you should avoid sharing personal articles like towel, razor, combs, toothbrush, etc. with anyone else. This will avoid transmission of the staph bacteria to a great extent.
- Maintenance of cleanliness and hygiene is also essential for prevention of staph infections. You should wash your hands before and after meals, after using the washroom; and also have bath everyday. It is also recommended to use clean clothes and eat hygienic food.
- People working in hospitals are also at a higher risk of contracting staph infection. They should make use of protective gloves and masks, and avoid touching any patient with bare hands. Washing hands after any procedure is also recommended.
- You should also avoid piercing and tattoos if possible, as it leads to cuts and open wounds which are prone to infections. If piercing and tattooing is undertaken, you should follow all the aftercare methods carefully.
- Lastly, as weak immune system is one of the risk factors of staph infections, one should look for measure to enhance the immune system. Having a balanced diet and adequate amounts of water everyday helps in strengthening the immune system.
These are the most effective methods that help in prevention of staph infection. So, make sure you follow all methods of cleanliness and hygiene to keep away infections! Take care!