Ear drops are a popular medication for a number of problems related to the ears. They are mainly used to cure bacterial ear infections, as the alcohol solution in them makes it difficult for the microbes to survive. They are also used very commonly to treat the buildup of earwax. A very important thing to keep in mind while instilling is to check the ingredients in them. Many pharmaceutical companies use substances like peanut oil which a lot of people are allergic to. It is always better to talk to a pharmacist or to a doctor about the specific ear condition, and to ensure that the appropriate mixture is administered to you.
There are some things that one should keep in mind before instilling ear drops. One should always keep the medication in a cool and dry place. Also ensure that the color of the medication does not change. Change in color is a sign that the medication may have expired. Also check that there is nothing floating in it, which means that the medicine may no longer be appropriate, and a new bottle must be purchased. Upon making sure that the medicine is fine, follow these steps:
- Warming up the bottle is very important. To do so, rub it between the palms or keep it in warm water for 5 minutes. This will ensure that the drops are warm when they enter the ears.
- Wash the hands carefully and wipe them, so that no infection or germs are passed into the ears.
- Shake the bottle and take some of the medicine in the dropper, which is provided with the bottle.
- Ideally, it is better to have someone to administer the medicine, especially in case of children. When you administer the medicine yourself, you may not be able to see it and may end up doing it wrongly.
- Lie down and tilt the head on one side, so that the drops enter the ears properly and do not fall out from it.
- See to it that the person instilling the medication keeps the dropper pressed so that all the drops enter the ear. Also make sure that the dropper does not touch the walls of the ears, as some germs may stick to it.
- Put the dropper in and shut the bottle right away upon following the above mentioned procedure.
- Keep the head tilted for 2-5 minutes. Press the ear flap shut and hold for some time, till you feel confident that the ear drops will not fall out after leaving the ear flap or straightening the head.
- Once you are done, wash your hands with a disinfectant or an antibacterial soap.
If you feel a stinging pain, dizziness, itching, or ringing, call your doctor to report the symptoms. These symptoms may be a sign of allergic reaction, and may need to be fixed immediately.