98.6ºF to 99.5ºF is considered normal body temperature for infants. Even a slight change in the temperature may cause complications. Go through the article for detailed information.
Have you ever thought why newborn babies are given extra care? Well, let me give you the answer for this question. Infants are more susceptible to the environment than adults. This is because their immune system is not as strong as ours. Hence any change in the environment can cause harm to your child’s health. The best way to find out their body condition is to check the temperature and for this you need to know what is the normal body temperature for infants and how to find it out.
Normal Body Temperature for Babies
The normal body temperature for babies or infants in Celsius is 36º to 37º and in Fahrenheit it is 98.6º to 99.5º. Any change in the temperature whether low or high can be dangerous for your baby. There may be lots of reasons behind the fluctuating body temperature of your baby.
Hence you need to keep an eye on their body temperature to get them cured in the initial stage itself. If the temperature elevates to 37.5º to 38ºC or 99.5º to 100.4ºF, then it will be considered as elevated temperature which can be due to the vaccination process or over clothing, or may be your child is slightly unwell.
Till the normal body temperature range is under the elevated level, your baby is out of danger and will behave very normally. But if the temperature rises above the elevated temperature then it may indicate complications. If the body temperature of your child exceeds 38ºC or 100.4ºF, then it will be considered as fever. Fever can be a symptom or a cause of many diseases. Hence it becomes very important to check your baby’s temperature from time to time so as to avoid such conditions.
How to Measure Body Temperature of an Infant
There are a number of ways to check the temperature of babies. You can place the thermometer in the armpit or mouth or the ear, or you can also insert it into the rectum. The temperature may fluctuate according to the position and the type of thermometer you are using. There are many thermometers available in the market like the ear thermometer, digital thermometer, rectal thermometer etc.
But the most accurate and preferred thermometer for infants is the rectal thermometer and armpit or underarm thermometer. They are easily available in the market and are the most accurate ones. Some may think the usage of rectal thermometer is nasty but the truth is that it can accurately judge your baby’s fever where the other thermometers may not show the proper readings.
How to Regulate Temperature
If the temperature you measured is very high then you need to contact a doctor immediately. Till that time there are a few things which you can do to alter the baby’s temperature. Following are some of the tips you can use to maintain normal body temperature for children.
In Case of High Temperature
- First of all undress your baby and let him be in a diaper or a light pair of pant. Remove the blanket and just cover him with a thin sheet.
- Lower the room temperature slowly but don’t lower the temperature too much as it may cause shivering which may in turn increase the body temperature even more.
- Sponge or bathe your child with lukewarm water. Sponge the face, neck, armpits and groin properly as they contribute a lot to the baby’s body temperature. If you observe shivering then stop sponging and dress him up with light clothes and cover him with a thin sheet. Don’t use cold water or alcohol in sponging.
- Make him drink lots of water as this will lower the temperature.
In Case of Low Temperature
- Provide skin to skin contact immediately once you realize that the baby’s temperature is low.
- Place your baby’s body under warm water up to the chest.
- Increase the room temperature or switch on the room heater.
- Try to avoid bathing your child till his temperature becomes normal.
You need to take proper care of the temperature fluctuations in infants. If the temperature goes above or below the normal temperature then consult the doctor immediately.