The following article discusses various safety measures that need to be followed while getting a pedicure during pregnancy.
Since one cannot practice self-pedicure during pregnancy, arranging the best quality of home-pedicure products is a good option. You can hand them over to the beauty expert, rather than applying any chemical-based products on your feet. Some pregnant women may find it difficult to go to the parlors. In such conditions, it would be better to call a beautician at home, where you can make all the arrangements at home.
Pedicure while pregnancy can be made completely safe, by practicing certain precautionary measures. Following tips may be helpful.
- Make sure that this beauty treatment is done in a well-ventilated room. This is because, the chemical odors and fumes when released, might make you feel dizzy and nauseated.
- The best option is to avoid products that contain ethanol, alcohol, acetone, formaldehyde, ethylene, and even acrylic nail paints. When exposed to these, it might affect your health, as well as that of your baby. Even if you apply them, stay away from the odor.
- Carry your own pedicure kit to avoid any chances of infection. This includes a nail cutter, cuticle shaper, nail polish thinner, filer, polisher, etc. Make sure that you carry your own towels.
- Get a foot massage done only from a reputed parlor. Do not engage into any massages that may stimulate fetal contraction. Instead you can allow yourself to a good reflexology.
- Do not sit for a long time while getting this beauty treatment, as you might experience backache and cramps. Therefore, lie down on a sofa and stretch your feet. This will also keep you away from inhaling the products.
- Soak your feet only in lukewarm water. Remember your body temperature is high when you are pregnant. Therefore, constant exposure to hot water might further alter your optimal body temperature.
Following are the safety tips for getting this beauty treatment.
- First get hold of all the necessary tools. This is to ensure that you do not miss out anything while the process in on.
- Make sure that the expert does the filing and shaping softly, so that no discomfort is caused. Get your feet scrubbed with a pumice stone. Then soak your feet in lukewarm water for sometime. Prepare the water bath with Epsom salt or any type of bath salt.
- You can also make a solution of lukewarm warm water mixed with honey and lemon. The other option is to dip your feet in milk and rose petals.
- Now dry your feet with a soft clean towel. Mix a few varieties of essential oils such as lavender, sandalwood, olive, almond, rosemary, and coconut oil.
- Relax for sometime after the session is over. You can apply a soft hue nail polish after that, or wrap your feet in a hot towel for sometime. This will ensure better absorption of oil in the body. Unwrap the towel after 5 – 10 minutes.
Take care while applying nail polish removers on your feet, and make sure that you get it done in a spacious room with good ventilation. For extra protection, you can cover your face and nose with a mask.
A good pedicure session carried under necessary precautionary measures will definitely make you feel rejuvenated. Also, there would be no risk to the health of the fetus when these measures are followed religiously.
Disclaimer: This HerHaleness article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.