Safe and effective acne remedies for pregnant women are the ones which do not include the use of medications. The following article provides some home remedies that might help in dealing with this skin condition.
The main reason behind acne outbreaks during pregnancy are hormonal changes. These changes trigger the sebaceous glands of the body to produce more sebum, which eventually results in acne. Most expecting mothers have to deal with this condition, and it may be inevitable for those who are naturally prone to breakouts. Although, many types of medicated skin care products are available in the market, they are generally not recommended for expecting mothers. So, the best option is to follow simple, tried-and-tested home remedies that involve the use of natural substances. These measures are as follows.
- Prepare a mixture of baking soda (1 tbsp.) and water (a cup). Mix the two to form a thick paste. Now get a clean washcloth and dampen it with water. Pour the paste over it, and apply it on the affected areas gently, in a circular motion. Wait for 5 minutes, before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Mix a teaspoon of sandalwood powder with 2 -3 drops of rose water to make a paste. Massage it on the affected areas of the skin. Leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Lemon is a natural antibacterial agent, while rose water is a skin toner. Also, the presence of rose water helps in reducing the acidic quality of the lemon juice. Mix these two in equal parts, and apply directly to the skin. Wait for 15 – 30 minutes before rinsing.
- Aloe vera is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial in nature. Apply the gel of Aloe barbadensis species on the skin. Make sure that it doesn’t enter the eyes.
- Tea tree oil is a natural disinfectant that can help destroy bacteria. Prepare a solution with oil and water in 2:1 ratio. Dip a cotton ball in the solution, and use it to clean the pimples.
- Apply honey on the affected skin twice a day.
- Before going to bed, apply cucumber juice to the skin. Rinse it off after 10 – 15 minutes. Pat dry the skin.
- Oatmeal is a natural exfoliator that absorbs excess oil and help get rid of dead skin cells. So cook a small serving of oatmeal, and add honey once it is done. Let it come down to the room temperature, and apply in on the acne-affected skin. Leave the mixture to dry for not more than 15 minutes, and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Stress can also trigger acne. So, perform relaxation techniques for controlling stress. Follow a healthy diet and stay physically active to improve overall health. Also, make sure that you don’t pop pimples or scratch over the affected skin. In severe cases, it would be best to consult a dermatologist.