Though there are certain herbs that are considered safe during pregnancy, it is not advisable to use them, without talking to the healthcare provider.
Herbs are natural, but being natural does not mean that they are always safe. Pregnancy is one such condition, during which you have to be highly cautious about what you consume. Most of the herbs are considered safe, if used according to the instructions of a qualified herbal practitioner. However, pregnant women are not supposed to use certain herbs that can be detrimental for the health of the mother as well as the baby. Only a few herbs are considered safe during pregnancy, and so it is very important to choose the right ones, that too with the consent of a qualified herbalist. You may also seek the opinion of your healthcare provider, before using such herbs. Here is a list of some herbs which are said to be safe for use during pregnancy.
- Most of the herbalists vouch for the benefits of consuming red raspberry leaf during pregnancy. This herb has been used in North America and Europe for hundreds of years, and is considered the most beneficial one for pregnant women. It is rich in calcium, magnesium, and iron. It is said that the herb is a uterine tonic that strengthens the muscles of the uterus. Red raspberry leaf can also prevent nausea, miscarriage, infections, and excessive bleeding during delivery. It can ease labor pains, and is found to be useful for lactation. Usually, it is consumed in the form of herbal tea.
- Chamomile can be taken in moderation during pregnancy. This herb is said to have a calming effect on the nerves, and can prevent inflammation. It is also used to prevent morning sickness and digestive disorders.
- Alfalfa is believed to be a rich source of enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. It is also a good source of vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Nettle leaf is also a good source of vitamins and minerals. It is useful for pregnant women who are suffering from extreme fatigue due to deficiency of iron. Nettle leaf is also good for production of milk.
- Ginger root is another herb that is useful in relieving morning sickness and problems related to digestion. It is also said to be beneficial in treating sore throats, congestion, and cold during pregnancy.
- Dandelion leaves and roots have a good amount of nutrients. This herb has diuretic properties, and is also good for liver health. It can help in digestion and lessen fatigue too.
- Oats is helpful in curtailing anxiety and restlessness. It is also good for the skin, and has high levels of magnesium and calcium. Oats can be consumed as cereal or as oat-straw tea.
- Peppermint leaf is also good for controlling morning sickness, digestive problems, and flatulence.
In short, there are certain herbs that are considered safe for pregnant women. However, such herbs must be consumed in moderate amounts, and according to the instructions of your health care provider. As there is no standard rule regarding the dosage of herbs, the quality may vary from manufacturer to other. Go through the label for any warnings relating to its use by pregnant women. Even though, the above mentioned herbs are said to be safe during pregnancy, it is still necessary to consult your doctor before consumption.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.