Since my childhood I have heard that "Smoking is Injurious to Health". I know it's true and so do the millions and millions of smokers all around the world. So why smoking in public remains a grave issue? Do smokers don't realize the negative impact their smoking is having on the environment and on the people inhaling the smoke? There can be various aspects to this topic. While smoking can be a very serious thing for non smokers like you or me it's a routine thing for people who smoke. Smokers don't believe they are harming anyone and hence their smoking shouldn't be such an issue of major concern. Looking at so many interesting aspects about smoking, I have decided to debate on smoking in public places.
Banning Smoking in Public Places
In today's debate on smoking in public places, I am going to list out points supporting both smokers and non smokers. I know most non smokers would think that the arguments of the smokers section are bound to be baseless but I would urge all my readers to read the arguments of both the sides without being biased. The two points put forward mentions the view of a non-smoker vs. a smoker, i.e., against and for the motion of the debate. You can be the judge of should smoking be banned in public places or not.
- It's a proven fact that smoking is very dangerous for the human body. Smoking cigarettes can cause cancer, respiratory disorders and a range of cardiovascular diseases. People who smoke are not only killing themselves, they are also killing people who are near them. Active smoking can be a choice but passive smoking can't. People who don't understand the negative effects of tobacco smoke should not be exposed to smoke. This is the main reason that every country should adopt a smoking ban in public places.
- In most cases it has been noticed that people who smoke know all the repercussions of smoking. It's true that smokers harm themselves but unless and until they don't harm someone else, they shouldn't be stopped from smoking. If someone does not wish to follow passive smoking he/she can avoid going to places where smoking is allowed. Hence a ban on public smoking is completely baseless.
Freedom to Smoke
- Non smokers don't choose to be passive smokers, they are forced to be one. Yes there are very less non smoking bars and hotels in the country because not many people visit such places. Non smokers who work in jobs where there's cigarette smoking involved (e.g. bars, hotels, corporate jobs) have no option than to inhale the smoke of a smoker as they can't leave the jobs. Government should take care of people who don't want to get exposed to other people's smoke if they don't want to.
- The main reason there's as shortage of non smoking places is because many people don't want to visit them. Many non smokers have no problems working or going to places where smoking is allowed. People who think that smoking shouldn't be allowed in work or public places as it is dangerous should never leave their house as tragedy can occur at anytime. It's better not to leave the privacy of your home and stay in.
Does the Ban Make Any Sense
- If the government imposes a ban on public smoking then people would be forced not to smoke which ensures a healthy and clean environment. Smokers would have to leave and search for places where smoking is allowed which is not possible every time. In many countries the public ban on smoking has helped many people to cut down on their daily number of cigarettes. This ban will also ensure that smoking is not publicized as a social activity and very fewer people will opt for it.
- This ban on smoking is surely illegal because there's no ban on the smoking of tobacco, hence the ban on smoking is still illegal. Like non smokers, even smokers have the right to decide what's wrong and right for them. People who smoke don't borrow money from the government if something happens to the. They take complete responsibility of everything that happens to them because of the smoking.
Effects of the Ban if Implemented
- This ban on smoking in public places will help people feel more healthy and alive. As a result they will understand the benefits of non smoking and try to avoid smoking even in private places like their home and cars. In the course of time less smoking will reduce the content of harmful toxins from the blood and they will feel more alive and kicking.
- Many smokers believe that this ban on smoking in public will encourage smokers to smoke at their homes. Smoking in home will definitely harm other people living in the house. To avoid smoking at home, smokers choose to drink more alcohol which is as harmful as smoking and it leads to various health complications.
Smoking in Public Places Facts
After this interesting debate on smoking ban pros and cons, let's have a look at some interesting facts about smoking in public places. Most people have no idea that when they smoke in public places they not only threaten their health but also the health of thousands of others.
- When smokers smoke in public places they give out two types of smoke; mainstream and sidestream. Mainstream is the smoke exhaled by the smoker and sidestream is the smoke released by the burning end of a cigarette. Both types of smoke has harmful toxins and chemicals which endanger people.
- Because of public smoking more than 15,000 cases of respiratory infection are recorded every year in the US. Children are the worst sufferers in this case as their immune system is still in the development stages and the cigarette smoke they inhale causes major health damage.
- In America smoking is banned on every domestic and international flights originating from the US. Smoking is also banned in most modes of transportation and on the premises of buildings where children study or play. State and local governments vary in their restrictions of placing the ban on public smoking.
I think after reading this article the reader himself can be a better judge of knowing which is better; smoking or non smoking. Both the parties have listed out valid points with regards to public smoking. So which one are you supporting? Let me know!