A pregnant women is more susceptible to catch a bad cold. This article presents some sore throat remedies for pregnant women.
Pregnancy can be one of the best times in the life of a woman. It is the time when she brings a new life in this world. However, it is also the time when she has to be extra careful, in order to protect herself and the baby inside her. When a woman is pregnant, her immune system is not as strong as it used to be before. Therefore, she is more prone to catch a cold, or experience a sore throat. There are several sore throat treatments; however, instead of taking over-the-counter pills, it is best that you always go for home remedies. These home remedies are natural, and they do have any side effects.
Following are some sore throat remedies which may prove beneficial during pregnancy:
- One of the best remedies is tea. Add some honey and half a lemon to a cup of hot tea and drink it. It will soothe and comfort the throat.
- Ginger tea is also a good remedy. While making tea, add a piece of ginger in it and boil it. Then add half a lemon and honey, and drink it.
- Mix some lukewarm water and salt, and gargle for at least 15 minutes. If this is done twice a day, then the problem of sore throat can be easily solved. Gargling washes away the mucous and increases the blood supply in the affected area.
- The consumption of herbal teas prepared from the bark of an elm, chamomile, or green tea may also prove beneficial.
- Chewing on some pieces of garlic may help alleviate the soreness of the throat.
- Drinking a glass of hot water mixed with a few drops of lemon and honey may give instant relief from sore throat.
- The rinds of pomegranate contain strong astringent properties that help fight bacterial infections. Boil them in water to prepare a tea, and then consume it for instant relief.
- While gargling, you may use black pepper instead of salt. You may also use undiluted corn syrup, mixed with warm water to gargle. Gargling with aloe vera juice also helps a lot.
- Chop some onions and put them in a tightly closed container with sugar. After sometime, drink the juice secreted by the onion to get rid of the sore throat.
- Consume some hot chicken or vegetable soup to help cure a sore throat. Also consume fruits or foods that are rich in antioxidant vitamin C.
- Mix powdered mustard seeds, juice of half a lemon, honey, salt, with hot water. Gargling with this solution may provide instant relief.
- Boil some basil leaves and gargle with that water. This will help get rid of the sore throat too.
- Drink lots of fluids and take plenty of rest. If you have a clogged nose, then you may also use a nasal vaporizer.
There are, of course, several medications in the market available for such cases; however, it is better to avoid them as far as possible during pregnancy. Always take medicines prescribed by the doctor or follow the aforementioned home remedies. This will ensure that you and your baby are not affected by any side effects.
Disclaimer: This HerHaleness article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.