Scared that even you might suffer from spider veins on legs? Don’t worry, because here are some prevention tips for the same. Read on…
You will find these spider veins across the face, hands and even on your legs. They are small, visible branches of veins that are either red or blue in color. They are called so, because of their appearance which is similar to the webs of a spider. These veins are much smaller than varicose veins but like them, they are located near the surface of the skin.
The spider veins might occur in a small area or might even spread out over a larger area. When a person suffers from such spider veins, it not only causes some cosmetic concern, but it also causes discomfort and pain to the person who is suffering from it. But before we take a look at the preventive methods, let us see what are the causes of spider veins.
Causes and Symptoms
One of the most important cause is accumulation of blood in the veins. The veins are the ones that help in the flow of blood from the various parts of the body to the heart. But sometimes, the blood might accumulate in the vessels thus, causing spider veins. The other cause of spider veins is age. With age, the veins become weaker, and hence they cannot carry out proper flow of blood. Pregnancy and obesity can also lead to these veins. In pregnancy, the volume of the blood in the body of the woman increases and this often leads to the increase in the size of the veins. Sometimes leg injuries and too much exposure to the sun as well as fair skin, can be the cause of spider veins in legs.
The first symptom is a painful sensation in the legs if a person has been standing or sitting for a long time. The veins become bulging and they turn blue or black in color. The bulging veins do not appear in a straight line but in various shapes. Now that we have seen what are the causes and the symptoms of spider veins in legs, let us see what are the preventive measures that one can take. If you follow the steps, then the chances of suffering from this problem will be minimum.
There are several prevention methods, which if followed, can reduce the chances of having the problem of spider veins. True there are also several treatments that are available but as we all know, prevention is better than cure. So given below are the various precautions that a person can take so as to keep this condition at bay.
- Do not keep sitting or standing in the same place for a long time. If you have to, then either get up and walk around for a while, or flex your ankles up and down, so that the blood in the veins can flow freely. Also do not sit cross-legged for a long time.
- Daily exercises will also prevent spider veins on your legs. Leave that lift and climb the stairs, cycle, go for a swim, and do various leg exercises so that you never suffer from this problem.
- Watch your weight. Obesity leads to spider veins problems. Follow a healthy diet.
- In planes or in cars, where you have to sit for a long time, move your leg up and down so that you can activate the calf muscles. These exercises will set your calf muscles into motion.
- While sleeping or lying down, keep your legs at a level higher than the heart level.
- Do not wear tight clothes. That will only prevent the blood in the legs from flowing freely.
- High heels should be avoided ladies. Go for flats or low heels. When you wear these, there is more activity in the calf muscles, hence, the chances of spider veins is reduced.
Now that you know what are the various options to prevent it, if you just follow them you will never suffer from this problem. If you do have this problem, then go to the doctor immediately before the pain worsens. Besides this there are several natural remedies that are sure to help you. Take care.