How will a woman come to know whether she is carrying a single baby or twins? There are certain signs that indicate a twin pregnancy. Read on to find out about the first signs of twin pregnancy.
It’s a great news for a woman to find out that she is going to be a mother. Pregnancy is a time full of happiness, as well as care and precautions. If you are carrying twins, then you need to be extra careful and cautious. But, how will you come to know that you are pregnant with twins? Well, there are certain signs and indications about twin pregnancy. Let’s know about them.
The first signs of twin pregnancy are almost similar to early signs of a single baby pregnancy. However, there are some extra indications and clues from which you could understand that you are carrying twins. There are a number of early signs of pregnancy such as:
- Absence of menstrual cycle. This sign is present throughout the pregnancy period.
- Morning sickness is one of the possible earliest signs of pregnancy. It generally starts about 2-8 weeks after conception and can continue indefinitely.
- Darkening of the area around nipples, known as areola. It can be noticed during the first trimester.
- Breast pain and tenderness is one of the common signs of pregnancy.
- Frequent urination is a later sign of pregnancy.
Signs of twin pregnancy are physical symptoms, as well as behavioral and heredity related. These include:
- Extreme morning sickness (due to elevated levels of HCG).
- Bigger size of uterus than expected.
- Presence of multiple heartbeats.
- Increase in appetite.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Frequent urination.
- Extreme tiredness.
- Abnormal AFP test results (elevated).
- Fetal movements in different parts of abdomen.
Besides the above-mentioned signs, you can confirm about it with the results of an ultrasound or sonogram. The ultrasound informs about development, growth, and size of the babies.