Sometimes mourning for a loved one goes on for a longer time than one would imagine. The preparations involved in planning a funeral for the person who has passed away can take away from the time you have given yourself for the grief that you are feeling. It can be more than overwhelming to plan a funeral under these circumstances. Preparing and drafting the obituary and the funeral program can be a huge task under the circumstances. It is in such situations that you can opt to use a template. There are a few online resources that will allow you to download these templates at no cost and customize them in order to create a program that allows you to express your affection for the person who is no more with you.
A funeral program serves the purpose of chronicling the life of the person who has passed away. It also helps give out information regarding the funeral or the service that is being held. It is one of the most important things to keep in mind while planning a funeral. Most people tend to hold on to programs from funerals as a remembrance. Drafted in the form of booklets, most programs have information which includes the full name of the deceased, their dates of birth and death, the time, date, and place of the funeral, the officiant at the ceremony, the place of interment, and the names of the pallbearers. Most people also add personal features like photographs, wordings, poetry, names of the members of the deceased's family, a thank you note from the family, and a brief biography of the deceased.
Creating a Template for a Funeral Program
Using a template can be a good choice when you are not sure about how to go about the entire process. With a little bit of creativity, it is possible to create a program that will definitely be appreciated and touch the hearts of those attending the funeral. One of the first things that you need to do in order to create a program is to download a template. It is always better to download one that is compatible with Microsoft Word. In order to customize the same, follow the easy instructions that are given below.
- With most templates, you will already have the text boxes and format in place for you. All you will need to do is edit those fields by clicking on them. Start filling in your text by doing so.
- Most templates for programs come in a two-page booklet format with a front and a back cover. The two leaves on the inside is where you will need to add content.
- For the front cover, you may want to choose a background design that you believe is not only aesthetically pleasing but also is something that relates to the deceased. You also need to keep in mind the fact that the design needs to match the photograph of the deceased that you will be placing on the front cover.
- The placement of the photo of the deceased should be right in the center of the background design. Place a text box with the name of the deceased under the photo. Underneath this you can add details like the birth date and date of death of the deceased. You can also add a title like Celebrating the Life of... (name of deceased).
- The back cover of the program generally has details like the names of the pallbearers, an obituary, funeral announcements, and a poem. The placement of these details is generally towards the left side of the program.
- On the second page of the program, generally one adds details about the service. It mostly extends to the next page, but if you can manage to fit the order of the service in one leaflet, then you can use the next one for a poem or a prayer.
You can opt to play around with images and photos in case you have the time for the same and can choose from different ideas. If not, then you can always go for a simple and elegant program. A template allows you to work fast under time restrictions. Under the circumstances it can be a trying task but since proper etiquette dictates the need for a program, it is an unavoidable task. Customizing a ready template can help you create a program in a short time.