For a mother-to-be, sleeping in a comfortable position becomes highly essential as it not only gives the mother sound sleep but also increases oxygen flow to her unborn child. Which is why, doctors recommend using a maternity pillow. Read on to find out more…
For any woman, however strong-willed she may be, the pregnancy stage can sometimes be slightly fragile. A new life is growing inside her and it is her responsibility to keep her unborn child safe and healthy. This means, anything and everything she does for the next 9 months has to be well thought of and planned. She needs to keep in mind that her baby can feel each and every emotion that she goes through, and can get affected by it as well. Hence, proper sleep and rest is of ultimate importance. Having said that, doctors are recommending pregnant women to use maternity pillows to keep themselves comfortable and avoid stress from their lower backs.
Call it a maternity, pregnancy, or contoured body pillow, it is one of the best things to keep strain off a pregnant woman’s body and give her complete rest while she’s lying down. It is not just that a pregnant woman who is affected due to lack of sleep. Whenever we don’t get a good night’s sleep, don’t we sometimes wake up with an aching back, headache, or crankiness? Then imagine how it must be for a woman who has not just her own health to worry about, but also that of her baby inside her womb. Keeping that in mind, we have put together some essential and helpful tips using the pillow and how to sleep comfortably when pregnant.
Tips on Using a Pregnancy Pillow
Apart from eliminating stress from the lower back, a maternity pillow can also help prevent heartburn, avoid unnecessary tossing and turning during the night (or napping), provide support to the bump, relieve pressure from abdominal nerves and uterus, improve proper blood circulation through the legs, and help move the baby in the ideal position during labor. With all these benefits and more, using the specifically-shaped pillow sounds like a good investment. And as you keep reading, below you will see the necessary steps to using the pillow correctly and sleep soundly while pregnant.
- Consult with your gynecologist about when is the right time for you to begin using the pillow. You can start as early as the 10th or 12th week (or sometimes sooner than that) of your pregnancy. This way, your body will try to adapt according to the pillow and find the perfect position to sleep in, that makes you comfortable.
- Purchase a quality pregnancy pillow to ensure your entire back, hips, stomach (bump), head, spine, legs, and shoulders don’t come under any strain. Plus, the design of the pillow will also play a huge role in placing it in the right spot. So do proper research before you select the pillow that works for your personal needs.
- Basically, you are supposed to place the lower part of the pillow between your thighs, support the bump in the middle, and use the top part as a regular pillow. Although this will depend on whether you want a full body pillow or one with a different design.
- There isn’t just one way to place the pillow for support. Depending on the shape and size of your pillow, you can use it to place it underneath your back or the belly. But keep one thing in mind; don’t make the mistake of assuming that more expensive pillows are the best out of the lot. Again I would like to urge you to speak with your gynecologist to help you find the right shaped pregnancy pillow that will provide you with optimum comfort.
- Finally, it doesn’t matter whether you are sleeping, napping, or just laying in bed reading a book, listening to music, or watching television, you should use the pillow as frequently as possible. This way, your belly is supported at all times, you won’t feel any pressure on the uterus or abdominal nerves, and you can actually rest properly.
Now if you’re concerned about not being able to use the maternity pillow after your baby is born, then there’s no need to worry. The pillow can be used as a support while you’re nursing the baby and when your baby is old enough to sit on his / her own, it comes in handy as well. When it comes to providing proper comfort and relaxation during the 9 months of your pregnancy, nothing can beat the maternity pillow.