Ringing of alarm clocks to wake you up early in the morning can be really irritating. At times, the sudden ringing sound after a long silence can give you a fright. At the same time, your mind is jerked awake suddenly which may make your mind confused for a few seconds. Relax! Alarm clocks need not be the only means to help wake you up on time. There are quite a few gentle and natural ways to help you wake up.
Here is How to Wake Up on Time
Over a period of time, most of us have come to associate waking up with the alarm clock. However, we forget that primitive men woke up and worked on correct times even before the invention of alarm clocks. Even mother nature follows the biological and seasonal cycles without reminders from any man-made alarm clocks and alert systems. Here is how one can learn to stop depending on alarm clocks.
Speak to your Mind
For centuries, this self timing has been a piece of study. It is said that before you go to bed, you can say to yourself something like "I want to wake up by 5 o'clock". Repeat this sentence loudly to yourself at least 10 times. You will be shocked to know that you actually wake up at the desired time. Weird as it may sound, our mind is working even during our sleep. It is still unknown as to how the brain keeps track of minutes and hours while we are asleep.
Fix Sleeping Hours
An average adult needs approximately 8 hours of sleep while a teenager could do with minimum of 10 hours. It is essential to fix a particular sleeping time and abide by it. Basically, if you need to be up by say 7 am and your sleep requirement is 10 hours, then make it a point to hit the bed by 9 pm on the previous evening. This helps your body get the desired hours of sleep and once the body gets relaxed, it will automatically come out of sleep at the right time.
It is known fact that our eyes respond to light even during sleep. So why not use this technique to wake you up? Shift your bed to a suitable location wherein sun's rays will directly fall on your face each morning to wake you up.
Our body temperature falls rapidly during nighttime and it warms up again when we are awake. This play of temperature can be used to wake us up at a particular time. If you use an air conditioner in your room then set the timer to stop the cooling at least ½ an hour before the desired wake up time. Similarly, if there is a heater in your bedroom then set the timer to start the heating at least 15 minutes before the desired wake up time. Believe it or not, you will wake up by the sheer heat in your bedroom.
You can set your music system timer to start playing a soothing music at the desired time in the morning. At times, the television in your bedroom can also be set to start playing a particular program in the morning. If any of this is not possible, then just make sure to leave your windows open when you go to bed. Usually, there happens to be some typical noises in the mornings such as the sounds of cars passing the streets. These sounds are sure to wake you up.
Train your Pet
It is said that senses in pets like dogs are much sharper than those in human beings. You can train your dog to come and wake you up at a particular time each morning with a roll of fresh morning newspaper. This would double up as a pet and master bonding time. In fact, your dog will look forward to this each day and come to wake you up.
Avoid Midday Naps
Midday naps tend to relax mind and body during the day. Though it is a good de-stresser, it tends to make you less drowsy at the end of the day. As a result, you may end staying up late and getting up late. So, staying away from midday naps is the best way to wake up on time each day.
Inducing Nature's Call
Don't forget to drink sufficient quantity of water before you go to sleep. This not only helps you dissolve all the toxins present in your body but it also forces you to visit the bathroom early in the morning. This is a very good way to wake up.
Warnings and Tips
- There are innumerable tips to train your body to wake up on time. But what if your body's circadian rhythm fails to work properly on one particular day and you have difficulty waking up? To avoid the embarrassment of reaching late at your workplace, I suggest you set up the alarm to ring at the most 5 minutes after your desired wake up time.
- Setting body clock for wake up time is possible over a period of time. Do not expect it to happen overnight. It is ideal that you try out these wake up tips mostly on weekends or holidays.
- As I have said previously, your body needs minimum hours of sleep each day. If you do not follow the sleeping schedule on routine basis, then your body clock will not respond to wake you up on time. It is always better to stick to your sleeping schedule each day.
- Your body may not respond to the wake up schedule if you have had a stressful activity on the previous day. If it is not absolutely necessary for you to wake up, then let your body relax and sleep till you feel completely stress free.
- In case, you happen to be consuming sleeping pills or sedative medication, your body will not respond sufficiently to the desired wake up schedule. This is because you will feel drowsy till the effect of pills wears off. Here, you need to give your body sufficient time of recovery by sleeping beyond the wake up time. The other option is that, you stop consuming the sleeping pills or change the sedative medicine for a non sedative formula.
Technologies have their own ups and downs. In the 21st century, man has become an absolute slave of modern technology. However, one must not forget that our ancestors survived well without inventions like alarm clocks. They had naturally perfected their body clocks. So why not be your own master and train your mind to wake you up on time?