Throat swelling and pain is a common issue. But what does a lump in throat during pregnancy mean? Get answers and more information about this concern during pregnancy, through this write-up.
Among the various changes happening in the body during pregnancy, one cannot ignore a single one, no matter how common or usual the issue seems. A lump in throat during this delicate time is a problem faced by many women. Pregnancy is already loaded with mood imbalances and anxiety. Even the smallest changes can make you feel worried.
A lump in the throat when swallowing will not be felt particularly during a specific trimester. Women complain of having swallowing issues due to a lump in throat right from the first trimester itself. A lump in the throat will usually be felt when there is any disorder that may sometimes not be related to a throat swelling also. If you do not have any other common throat swelling or trouble causes, do not panic. Relax and go through all the information.
Lump in Throat Feeling During Pregnancy – Causes
We have collected the possible causes here, so let us take a look. The common causes of a lump in the throat can be viral and bacterial infections, swelling and allergies, cold and flu. If a lump makes swallowing difficult, it may also be the improper functioning of any of the nerves and muscles in the mouth, throat and the esophagus, which results in the overflow of secretions in the upper part of the throat in the voice box and the breathing passages too, that causes swelling and irritation.
These were some of the generic causes of lump in the throat or swelling in the throat. The causes of throat swelling when a woman is expecting are discussed below:
- Pregnancy causes a lot of anxiety and mood swings. One can tend to be nervous and stressful. This can trigger spasms in the throat muscles.
- Frequent vomiting, which is one of the most common side effects, can cause irritation in the throat. A lot of gagging too can make it swollen, that causes difficulty when swallowing and a lumpy sensation in the throat.
- A mis-coordination in the food pipe, due to the malfunctioning of the valve of this food pipe that ends behind the voice box in the throat, can cause a problem in the throat. Reason being, this valve will tighten up if there is a leakage at the other end of the food pipe that ends in the esophagus. This may cause a lump like feeling in your throat.
- Heart burn is also one reason. It will not only occur due to indigestion or certain foods, but also due to the hormonal variations. In pregnancy, a hormone called progesterone causes the valve of the food pipe to relax, that is normally suppressing the acid from refluxing in the food pipe. This may result in heart burn and irritation.
- The body also becomes more susceptible to viral infections. This may also cause swelling. Swelling of the lymph nodes, tonsils and thyroid too can cause a swelling in the throat.
- As pregnancy changes the body, you become more sensitive, and the swallowing feeling can become more prominent, thus, giving a lump in throat feeling.
Home Remedies for Lump in Throat and Swelling
The remedies are not symptom and cause specific. You can follow these in case of issues like heartburn, swollen throat, etc. Since pregnancy does not allow much scope to have antibiotics, here are some home remedies.
Gargle with saline water, have chamomile tea or ginger tea to treat any infections. Avoid consumption of oily and spicy foods, so as to avoid heartburn. While sleeping, rest your head at an elevated position as compared to the rest of the body. This will keep the acid from traveling back into the esophagus, and suppress heartburn.
Take all possible measures for heartburn like eating yogurt and chewing gum after meals, eating small meals and eating at least an hour before sleeping, etc. For stress and mood swings, stay happy and as calm as possible, meditate and continue mild exercising like walking and others, that your doctor may advice.
However, make sure you consult a doctor if there is a prolonged swelling or any flu symptoms with it. You should not take any chance when the swelling and lump feeling gets prominent.
These are small but important issues that need to be attended properly. These are bound to happen during pregnancy, so do not get anxious or disturbed. All you need is to think about the big reason that you carry, to tackle these tiny issues!