If a pregnant mother shows any of the signs of high blood pressure, then a doctor should be consulted immediately. Learn more about these symptoms, so that you can take the required precautionary steps as early as possible…
When a woman reaches her second stage of pregnancy, she might suffer from a certain condition called the preeclampsia. This is a disorder of pregnancy in which the woman suffers from high blood pressure which is also accompanied by a production of excess protein in the urine. Sometimes it also includes swelling in the body or maybe the platelets count might even go down and the liver too starts malfunctioning.
Usually women, who have a history of high blood pressure before pregnancy or if they have had any kind of kidney infection, then there are chances that they might suffer from this disorder. Or if the mother or the sister of the woman had preeclampsia when they were pregnant, then too there are chances that the woman might get it. Usually, the woman who suffers from this disorder, never realizes it as they are always feeling ‘fine’. So it’s important that you know what are the preeclampsia symptoms so that actions can be taken quickly. However, before we go onto the symptoms, let us see the causes of this condition.
The exact causes of this disorder are not known. But some doctors have come to a conclusion that if a woman gets pregnant before she reaches 20 years of age or if they are above 40, then there are chances that the woman might suffer from this disorder. Also, if the woman does not take proper care during the antenatal period, then again, the woman might suffer from this disorder. This condition, as it has already been mentioned above, might also be hereditary. Another reason for this disorder might be some medical disorders like hypertension or diabetes or nephritis. So now that we have seen the causes, let us now see what are the symptoms.
Many a times it happens that the woman who is suffering from preeclampsia, does not realize it. She might be feeling ‘fine’. This is because, the symptoms of this disorder are almost similar to the normal signs of pregnancy. Thus, when a woman is pregnant, especially when she is in her second trimester, care should be taken. The symptoms are usually:
- Severe Headache: She might experience a dull throbbing pain as if she has migraine.
- Weight Gain: Weight gain during pregnancy is normal, but if the woman gains more than 2 pounds a week, then it’s a reason to worry.
- Proteinuria: This means that there is excess of protein in urine during pregnancy. If in 24 hours of urine, there is 0.3 gm of protein per liter, without any sign of any urinary tract infection, then it’s a sign of preeclampsia.
- Blurred Vision: The woman might either suffer from blurred vision, or sometimes, she might completely lose her vision. But not to worry as 6 weeks after delivery, her vision will return to normal.
- Stomach Pain: Epigastric pain or stomach pain is also a preeclampsia symptom.
- Swelling: During pregnancy, swelling of body is normal. But sometimes when the face, mainly the eyes and the hands begin to swell, that is a cause for worry.
- High Pulse Rate and Hypertension: If the blood pressure of the woman shoots up or she suffers from shortness of breath, then again, it is a sign that she is suffering from preeclampsia.
- Lower Back Pain: If the woman complains of a severe lower back pain, do not think that it’s just the normal sign of pregnancy only. It could be a liver problem as well. So be careful.
- Sleep Disorder: The woman might also suffer from sleeping problems. A good night sleep is a must for pregnant women, so make sure that she gets it.
- Itching: One of the other symptoms, itching is also commonly seen. The woman might develop severe rashes on her body, which might itch a lot.
Now you can see for yourself how difficult it is to differentiate between the normal signs of pregnancy and preeclampsia. So you have to be very careful, and take the woman to the doctor immediately even if you think that it might just be normal signs. Let the doctor check and verify. Thus, these are the symptoms in early pregnancy.
Now let us see the treatment for this disorder. One thing that can be done is to deliver the baby. However, this is not the best solution, as you cannot allow the baby to grow outside the womb. So the next best thing is to control the problems. The blood pressure can be controlled, bed rest, medicines and a proper check up, till the baby is delivered, will keep the disorder in check. Salt controls high blood pressure.
But, if you are pregnant, then too much salt is not a good idea. Let the doctor tell you how much salt and water should be taken in order to control the blood pressure. Calcium tablets also help to prevent preeclampsia. Do as the doctor asks you to do and you will not face any problems. Just follow the instructions that the doctor gives you and take proper bed rest. Then you will face no difficulty while carrying a baby in the womb.