Probiotic acidophilus bacteria are said to be beneficial for improving health, and are available as supplements. This article provides a brief overview about these beneficial bacteria.
Most of us have heard about bacteria, that are often viewed as disease-causing organisms. However, there are certain types of bacteria, that are beneficial for the human body. Normally, the human body houses both good and bad bacteria. The beneficial bacteria are usually found in the mouth, gastrointestinal tract, and the vagina. Such good bacteria are collectively known as probiotics, that are beneficial in various ways. Nowadays, the term probiotics is used to denote live microorganisms, that are ingested by humans, for improving health.
Apart from boosting the immune system, probiotics help the human body in fighting infections. Studies show that the human body contains around 400 species of beneficial bacteria, and they include different strains of lactobacillus and bifidobacterium. Lactobacillus acidophilus is a type of beneficial bacteria, that have been subjected to various studies, for a very long time. Otherwise known as probiotic acidophilus, this type of bacteria is normally seen in the small intestine and vagina; and is said to be beneficial for the human body.
Lactobacillus acidophilus is a type of beneficial bacteria, that has been studied extensively, for its health benefits. Various strains (like L. acidophilus, L. casei, and L. bulgaricus) of these bacteria are used in fermented dairy products, like yogurt. Nowadays, probiotic acidophilus supplements are available in the form of capsules, pills, powder, and liquid. Being a probiotic, lactobacillus acidophilus is beneficial for the human body in various ways. Studies show that these bacteria restore the balance of natural flora in the human body, thereby preventing various infections.
- Probiotic acidophilus are resistant to acids and other digestive juices. They stick to the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract and vagina. They produce lactic acid, and prevent disease-causing microorganisms from attacking these sites.
- It has been suggested that, probiotic acidophilus play an active role in preventing and controlling vaginal yeast infection or candidiasis, caused by the fungus Candida albicans. These beneficial bacteria prevent the growth of this fungus on the vaginal lining. Even bacterial vaginosis is said to be controlled by acidophilus.
- Prevention and treatment of diarrhea is one of the benefits of probiotic acidophilus. It is said to be highly beneficial for kids, who have rotavirus diarrhea. Even adults can prevent traveler’s diarrhea with these beneficial bacteria.
- These bacteria are good for the digestive system, as they regularize the bowel movements, thereby preventing constipation. Studies show that this probiotic can also address some of the common digestive diseases, like Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and yeast infection of the digestive tract.
- Use of probiotic acidophilus, along with oral antibiotic treatment is recommended by health practitioners, as these drugs can kill the natural flora in the body, paving way to secondary infections. In some people, use of antibiotics may trigger diarrhea, which can be eased with these beneficial bacteria.
- These supplements are used to reduce the risk of urinary tract infections and coronary heart disease. Probiotic acidophilus is also linked to reduction of high cholesterol level. It is also said to be good for people suffering from lactose intolerance.
- Probiotics is also said to be useful in the treatment of seasonal allergies, sinusitis, and bronchitis. It is also associated with prevention of acne and bad breath.
In short, probiotic acidophilus supplements are said to be beneficial for the human body in boosting the overall health, and preventing certain diseases. However, they may cause certain side effects, like temporary bloating and abdominal discomfort. In most cases, such side effects subside with continuous use. Probiotic supplements are not recommended for immunocompromised people, and those with artificial heart valves. It is always better to consult your doctor, before starting the use of probiotic acidophilus.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.